Monday, June 02, 2008

Dances on the Frontier

So if you've ever been to a foreign country or begun a venture you weren't quite sure how it would end up then you'll agree with me when I say there's nothing like it, no better school, no amount of entertainment that can equal such an experience. I've been reading Dances with Wolves. Not only do I love the wild beauty that is the frontier, the strange civilization of the Indians, and the story of one man's quest to discover what it means to truly be alive, but I find myself entranced in his words and in the memories of my own journeys where I've tasted similar things.

You take that first step off the plane, nothing smells right, no one speaks English, you know there are two things that never change: coffee, and beer. Aside from that you're on your own. I'm exaggerating here for literary's sake so please...

"With a startling suddenness, the lieutenant felt overwhelmed. He realized that he had no idea where to begin, what his function should be, or even how to regard himself. He had no duties, no program to follow, and no status."

As you begin to settle into life of a different kind, life out on the frontier where values don't equal what is common in western society today, you begin to see with very different eyes. The woman who's lived there all her life yet still treats the poor with fresh compassion, a cup of coffee shared with someone you might've gone to war with once, the passing of stories from one culture to the other, laughs over who said what wrong and how close it was to being a major taboo...all elements which make for a rich day.

"What he might have had lacked was pale in light of what he had. His mind was free. There was no work and there was no play. Everything was one. It didn't matter whether he was hauling water up from the stream or tying into a hearty dinner. Everything was the same, and he found it not at all boring. He thought of himself as a single current in a deep river. He was separate and he was whole, all at the same time. It was a wonderful feeling."

You don't have to go gallivanting across the world to know what I mean. A simple risk, a chance where it makes sense to make sense, is all that's required. It doesn't matter who you aren't because you're too busy being who you are. To all my friends who've been there and are there keep on riding. I'll be joining you when I can.

2 comments:

Avid Andy said...

i just watched Dances with Wolves (all 4 hours) for the first time a couple of weeks ago. it was incredible. i should read it once i make it through Dune.

sometimes its good to challenge yourself just to prove to yourself that you can. good post.

Anonymous said...

thanks, one of my favorite movies. it really speaks to me about what's important in life, the journeys we take that usually lead us somewhere we weren't expecting. the book's just as good; Kostner followed it really closely (except i hear the end is different).