Sunday, July 17, 2005

Tornado's

I awoke from a dream recently during a short interval of sleep. In it I escaped a storm as great as any the eastern coast had seen. But its origins were not irregular weather patterns. Its origins existed in a basement room decorated with living flora and a wooden baby. A song began to play, mimicking the Light that is the One true God, and I knew instantly that a trap had been laid. A sloth-like woman rested near a window and was strangely connected to the happenings in the room. She spoke only once and her voice seemed to slow time, to disregard it. As I left the room, rejecting its curious pull to my own interest, the tornado's outside dissipated.

As I continue on my way, toward the mountains, I am grateful that those gray, spiraling winds existed in a realm only accessible to spirit beings. Although they are more difficult to spot, the fate of them has already been declared. They are defeated by an azure sky and the power of One who controls an army to end all armies. A feather floated into my path today. The thought occured to me, You're not alone. And isn't that the lie that seems to haunt most warriors? Sometimes we are asked to travel with a different company, an invisible company. And I am beginning to understand there are many flanking attacks that never touch us because of those to our left and our right and most importantly to our rear. Not only do we travel with them, often we are given the authority to command them. For the most part, my dreams have become like a road map. Something in the waking world might trigger a particular element from a recent or not so recent night message. In a way, it is a coded answer, a plan of action: listen to this truth, pray in this way, ignore this lie, watch for this attack. It is not always easy. But I am learning to respond more quickly and precisely. The test is easy: am I free or am I weighed down, discouraged? Usually the latter occurs when I have retreated. But our Commander is faithful to restore the banished ones.

So all I can do is pray this simple prayer. Lord, open my eyes to see the truth in battle. Set my eyes on You and remind me that You never change. You are Love, You are Peace. I am Your child; I am Your beloved; I am Your joy. Allow Your love to protect my judgments and actions. Secure my vision in love and illuminate the lies that are contrary to that love. Open my eyes to see Your heavenly host, to see You mighty in battle. And lead me to the quiet waters.

No comments: