Monday, July 18, 2005

Tonight is for Blue (Blue is for You)

To Katie and Kim. Sometimes ya just gotta let it flow.

I will not pretend to know the depths of suffering that the human heart is capable of feeling. I have often wondered why pain? as many of us do. And the response to my question: a dark room with disjointed thoughts...silence...pain. The physical discomfort is almost a distraction to the mind's unaswered pleas. Still, it is better to cry out at the silent walls, to scream tears against the carpet, to wait for an answer in-between heaves. I have seen the opposite. I have seen the eyes blank, I have seen the mouth stiff, and the question irrelevant. I have seen mechanics with a paintbrush painting cogs as stars and a headlight for the sun. After they're done they pat one another on the back, call it a day, and wonder why they never make history. I have seen a heart eaten like another chicken leg, the bone tossed aside, to the dogs, the swine, the puppet master's crooked grin and his crooked knife, stained with yesterday's imperfection, leads to infection, an amputee, a refugee from the holiday promised with peace, good will, and prosperity. Yeah G, even you in your hard core, even you with your army brand and biceps, didn't you know? Pain is for. You, Pain is for the neighbor's stare when he licks his lips at your misfortune. Pain is for the misfortunate sleeping with cats just to stay warm. Pain is for the little girl when nothing could have changed the way he came and stayed till...Yes pain is for him too. But pain is still for you and me, for you and me next year when. But if it's not for you or you then probably neither is the morning after you thought this is it, I'm done. Cause it always comes, that sun and the blue and the night that tails another sunset. But oh the blue! Here it is, undone like green and yellow, melting pigments from the ducts of an eye. There's the true if you're wondering if pain is for you. It's not for everyone some tend to think. I think they've had the best of it and won't share with the rest of us that beautiful blue!

No comments: