Tuesday, August 23, 2005

tHE iDOL Of mAN'S tHOUgHTs

Well dad, you were right about the thoughts and opinions of man being an idol. Thanks for that little revelation. I repented of it on the way home in a very heartfelt, tears gushing sort of way. And then I couldn't stop singing Shane and Shane's version of the old school "You are Exalted." I have to "do" (b/c I hate the word teach...it's a stronghold for me) the strongholds section this weekend at the intern encounter. I came in and told Maranda and Leigh: "I just got set free from the stronghold of the thoughts and opinions of man. But I can't tell you the situation cause you might think ill of me." Hahahahahahahaha.

Now that I think about it, the dream I had two nights ago probably had much to do with this. I was downtown Blacksburg, just sitting on the sidewalk across from the old middle school and suddenly I was confronted by all these people from college. They didn't pester me; most of them were glad to see me. But then one girl said: "I never got to throw you that party." She hesitated. "But oh, aren't you the girl who changed her life around?" I felt sheepish and sarcastic as I said, "Yeah, I'm a legend." And then I was alone, walking down the sidewalk toward Christiansburg. I heard a baseball game going on over in the stadium at the old middle school. I thought about singing but I'm not sure if it was in relationship to the game. It was then that the Lord reminded me (internally) of the fact that He will bring about His promises. And that's all I could remember when I woke up.

So I'm praying that I can be Your fool. Not just in the ways I want to but in the difficult places where it might be easy to hide. Because you can be obedient, even a little contemplative, but never really love the Lord. Loving Him means going above and beyond the status quo, the norm of Christian means, not because you have to but because He is worthy of all of our heart. And You know what He told me along time ago? "See if I won't surprise you time after time and time after time." What does surprise mean to me? Explode into view, swept off my feet, delightfully caught off guard...

He is the Lord
Forever His truth shall reign...

His is exalted
The King is exalted on high...

P.S. Just checked my email and what did I get??? A thought and opinion from grandma! Dad...I'm pissed off right now. And I have to shop with her all day. I already feel shutters closing, lights dimming, survival-only breathing and water rationing. MacGyver, you taught me well. Mmmmm...need more coffee. If anyone gets the SOS tell them...tell them that Big Foot does exist. Tell them that spoiled children are great to taunt and probably get turned into dragons at some point in life. Whether they return to their original forms is entirely up to them.

4 comments:

Sheamus the... said...

My shuuters are closed, the candle is burning, breathing through a mask and my water is low. MacGyver, i wish we would have met. Mmmmm...need more beer.
THe thoughts and opinions of man are what push me into survival mode. Over the past two months I have promised myself that your thoughts would not consume me or push me. So I leave. I become invisible. Why? Because it is a stronghold. It is never easy to conquer. I have never seen a stronghold taken in one attack. Never. Not unless you march around it seven times playing your trumpets. I dont know how to play a trumpet. So what do I do. I avoid it. I must find myself before I can overcome. It seems easier but I know it isnt right. I hate that. I always forget who I am and who I am supposed to be around you and every other person. Noone is supposed to care what each other thinks but everyone is so eager to say what they think. I am brittle, I am soft, I am fragile. I dont like to be dropped. But from recent experience I have learned that when a bone breaks it grows back stronger. Help me Oh lord if you hear me. Grow me back stronger. Maybe evem throw a little metal up in here. Oh you humans who are listening. I am MAN. I am fragile. I do care what you think. I always do and always will. But I know what I am and I know who I am going to be. It is me. "Tread softly, you tread on my dreams"

Got off a little. Felt good though. Out I am late to class.

Unknown said...

Frenchie... nice Lewis reference... notice it was only in taking what did not belong to the spoiled child that the child became the dragon... but to the poor lad's credit it's hard sometimes to know what treasures are there for the taking and what needs to be left alone... but after that experience, my, didn't Eustis have a different attitude?! He had to humbly admit that what he had become (or the dragon skin he was wearing) was not able to be reversed except by Aslan himself? It took Aslan to come and bathe the filth away, remove his pains, and bring him back to a former yet purer form!

Interestingly enough, and putting it in another way, it took a "circumcision" of the "flesh" (or the dragon form that was contrary to the boy's human self), in the hands of Aslan the Lion (of the tribe of Judah) to bring that change in the boy's life. Allegorically, it's easy to pinpoint... it's flesh, it's tangible, it needs to be removed, it was removed by the right "surgeon", freedom and healing came during and after the process. It's how to bring that into a real and personal level that is getting me all twisted up right now... I see all kinds of things and can explain them in hundreds of detailed ways that people can understand... but how to get it back to the simplicity of God's truth and His genuine ways of dealing with these things is a hurdle of spiritual reality I cannot seem to sail over and grasp right now... I just... I just... I just... *sigh*

... where's Aslan ...

...or in less allegorical terms...

... Holy Spirit, please counsel me (us)! Father, please instruct and guide and embrace me (us)!! Jesus, in your name!!! ...


Anyway, that's one of the greatest moments in the whole Narnia series, IMO. Lewis is timeless and definitelly had the Almighty hook up with his (non)fiction writings.

um... sheamus... let's get together sometime SOON and get conversational.

Coxon said...

Hi Amy, how ya doin? I know this has nothing to do with your post...but I didn't know where it would be appropraite to ask this. So, forgive me if it bothers you that I'm asking this on this thread.

I was talking to JG about the LOTR characters in relation to the DP people. Like JG as Gandolf the Grey, Waldoch as Gimili, whoever else was in on it. I kinda feel like I relate to Sam Wise, especially because of my friendship with my friend Corey how I feel like sometimes I can't carry his burdens so I just carry him, I defend him, and am always there for him even when he turns on me. What do you think? I know you don't know me very well...I asked JG because he knows me fairly well compared to some people in DP. I'm just asking for your thoughts on this. Thanks, catch ya later.

Mad Frenchie said...

JC...you be who you most feel you relate to...otherwise doesn't serve much of a purpose now does it? Except maybe to boost your ego, add a few inches, take some pounds away (of course I'm not speaking directly about you).

Shea- The answer is a simple one. Learn to be His child. I'm in that process. I feel like I started out an old person and I'm digressing to a baby. "When you were a child the world was the unknown. But you were fine...to simply trust in Me..."

James- I'm in a way wisdom giving mood. So here it is: Grab Him everyday. Forget the understanding for a time, forget the knowing, and the perceiving. Breathe Him in in whatever way He gives Himself to you for that day.