Wednesday, October 05, 2005

The Greatness of Knowing Him


I think these passages in Philippians will be inspiration for the next thing I write. I was listening to Upton's version of Psalm 23 again this morning. And as I sang the words "you make a table before my enemies/surely goodness and mercy cover me" I began to cry...not b/c of Upton's dynamic voice or piano sensitivity. But because I knew those words to be true in my own life and because I knew God in that way. So that's what our life is suppose to be all about. Knowing Him. Everything we struggle with or rejoice in is suppose to draw us closer to Him. Paul writes:

I once thought all these things were so very important, but now I consider them worthless because of what Christ has done. Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the priceless gain of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I may have Christ and become one with Him. (Philippians 3:7-9).

Paul goes on to say that it's not as though he has laid hold of it yet...completely. He presses on toward the goal, forgetting what's behind. It's true, in this world you will have suffering. But we can know Christ in a way that the rest of His created order cannot. We can share in His sufferings and share in His resurrection. And it's not about the suffering it's about His faithfulness, His goodness, His mercy, His intimacy, His peace, His justice through it all; that which we would not know if we ran to our makeshift comforts and lovers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

{raising my hand}...I want in on this song!! But it's up to you...but I'd like to try and put the music to this theme/idea of your new song. :)

Mad Frenchie said...

yeah definately. be praying for me that i'd hear what He wants to say.