Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Philip Yancey on Ecclesiastes

The only wisdom we can hope to acquire is the wisdom of humility. Humility is endless.
~T.S. Eliot

Yancey wonders how exactly this book made it into the Bible. Placed back to back with Proverbs, the book of how to live life in wisdom, it almost seems like Ecclesiastes is there to mock. But the form is possibly a tactic used by other philosophical writers and authors. Draw the reader in by denouncing everything that is apparently a part of God's rule. Love wisdom?---no, whether you love it or reject it the results are the same etc. And then, just as the paths of hedonism are lived out the writer has you trapped, and he states, "Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is the whole duty of man," (12:13).

There are moments of spiritual transcendence. "Drippings of grace," C. S. Lewis called them. Points in time whether it be in love, sex, beauty, music or what have you that an unexplainable joy and yearning is experienced. G. K. Chesterson writes before his commitment to Christ:

There had come into my mind a vague and vast impression that in some way all good was a remnant to be stored and held sacred out of some primordial ruin. Man had saved his good as Crusoe saved his goods: he had saved them from a wreck. All this I felt and the age gave me no encouragement to feel it. And all this time I had not thought of Christian theology.

But God's gifts cannot be the thing sought after or they will fail to satisfy. Wine will turn into alcoholism, says Yancey, and so on. We must acknowledge that we cannot perceive or understand God's ways fully and learn to submit to them. Yancey adds however that he does not feel Ecclesiastes is just a form of reverse apologetics. It is a reminder of the limits of being human. It sets forth the pitfalls of a life without God at the center whether pagan or Christian. The fall of Solomon's kingdom came just after its greatest wealth and reign. It is a depiction of the "city of man" v. the "city of God," the kingdom of this world v. the kingdom of heaven.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

what is hope...?

hope is inexpressibly beautiful.

--Prophetica--

As I sit here in the initial moments of an OTC amphetaminic indulgence, that particular quote from a recent trance artist came to mind.

Today finds me concerned about all that is temporal, all that will pass away... wanting more of what is eternal, but not able to make sense of how the threads connect and how the puzzle pieces come together.

The "Preacher" of Ecclesiastical fame often brings validity to my surface-level chaos. I get. I give. I want. I deny. I seek. I find. I excite. I tire.

It's funny... the only material thing I've been looking forward to over the past 5 weeks is a CD by the band Demon Hunter that released today. I tried a few times to make it happen, to find this disc... even stepping out of the lines of duty and obligation to make this piece of plastic and sound mine. It was nowhere to be found around these parts. While driving back from my search, lyrics from the recent Project 86 CD came to mind... "There comes a time in every man's life when we have to say, My will be a dead man."

I think my will is dying some more today... at least in the pursuit of things... but on the deeper level, the place where I am unsettled and frenzied by the fray of thoughts and experiences leading to the grand question of "where does it all come together"... on that level I need the touch of life and peace.

Funny, though, is the fact that I got an e-card today encouraging me to "hang in there"... because God made a way for the trapped Israelites standing at the cusp of the Red Sea. I guess that's where I am... standing there, looking over the sea of experiences and possibilities... needing a way to cross through the waters and into that land He's given me... promised me... whatever that promise winds up being.

French... maybe these are stretching and trusting times for the miraculous times ahead.

Anonymous said...

What time tonight, Frenchie, will you be chillin' at your pops?