Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The End of an Era

As I near the final days of my last English class, and even more importantly, the final words of my final BA of the Arts paper, I wanted to share a quote from me, the author. Indeed, I felt inspired for it is a subject that touches me as few friends would understand. The arts, the redemption of something that oozes from the the pores of the Father. Perhaps the wildest frontier of them all. So here it is:

I preferred Richard Poirer’s words that “innovation in the arts is a form of cultural heroism.” Most of us in some way or another I believe are wanting to be that hero to one person and maybe even to many; to redirect the highways from east coast to west coast so that they not only go north to south but down to up; to reinvent a child that has become old and crippled without sight or speech. There are attempts in every generation for that innovative shift in the arts and it is like the present age holds its breath until the savior of the written language is revealed. Man is not the judge but the words themselves. They reflect not only a deeper revelation from a collected pool of literary devices but something of the times, a common stream that is history’s ink. There are heroes in war, heroes at work, heroes at home, and heroes behind the pen. To be so bold as to challenge reliable technique, sensible creativity, marketable subject matter and so on is perhaps bolder than one with a gun in battle. The artist risks his or her own reputation and livelihood to challenge the monuments of literary gods. He or she risks being misunderstood, overlooked, and forgotten. It is a great challenge to the resolve of a human being to leap where there is no visible ground.

Well I achieved at procrastinating a little longer. I think success is greatest determined by not whether or not man's recognition and respect is given to you but by the amount of failure you have encountered and chosen to overcome. Anyone who seeks the favor of man is in my opinion a coward and a fake. The facade of popular opinion is like a smokescreen for a disfigured and dying beast. It is better to present the true form, expose it to all humanity's ridicule until everything that is destructable is destroyed and everything that is lasting remains. But here I am sipping on coffee at almost 5 am and all these words well they might be a smokescreen for the inadequacies of a student. So one most know when to say enough is enough and I bid you adeu.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Anyone who seeks the favor of man is in my opinion a coward and a fake"...hm, I liked your post...intriguing...but I was wondering about this statement...do you think this holds true if the "man" you are seeking favor from is your parents? Isn't there a natural desire to seeks your earthly Father's approval?

Sheamus the... said...

"I think success is greatest determined by not whether or not man's recognition and respect is given to you but by the amount of failure you have encountered and chosen to overcome."
Hey did need to read this right now? I just basically got told what was up by the ACADEMICS of my life and it was not that Shea you will succeed in life but more of shea you are getting flushed. My highest grade this semester is a C and I might have to take a class that I failed last semester yet again to pull for round number three. I feeel school is a worthless hampster wheel right now and a piece of paper is the cheese. But the only thing that comes into my head at times like these is that God is a redeemer and I am overcommer. BUt still the sick feeling is there.

Mad Frenchie said...

well in my eyes my parents play a role of guidance and encouragement...the sort of boost a rocket needs at the beginning to get it out into space. But I did indeed rouse myself with this post. Stick it to the man Shea...and if you need to borrow my slogan go ahead: the world is passing away and all that is in it.

Anonymous said...

I think there is some truth to what you have written, Amy...where I think children can and are allowed to achieve favor of their parents...but primarily by seeking the favor of Jesus, first. If my child were to love Jesus with all his/her heart...that would definately gain my favor. And I think there is a natural inclination in everyone to achieve the favor of their heavenly father...albeit sometimes that favor is rerouted through their earthly parents. I wouldn't consider those children cowards...I would call them lost. Cowards is a harsh term...almost veering on judgement.

Mad Frenchie said...

aye...i was in a harsh mood. parents when they are in God's will are His authority set in place to protect, build up, and guide their child. In a sense they are God working through them to set the child on the right path. Robert Mearns said it himself recently, "we need fathers that will get behind kids today and do everything for them but get in their way." God said it too...He is not far off...He is right here involved in our lives...and what better way to be involved than working and willing His plans through earthen vessels? Seeking the favor of man brings death plain and simple. So calling someone a coward and a fake is a little less judgmental than death I should say. :) Really...I am in a fiesty mood today so please excuse the abrasiveness.