Tuesday, September 13, 2005

For the Dreamers

I'm still making my way through Goll's book The Coming Prophetic Revolution. A couple of chapters there I found a little slow. But as I near the end it is sparking my interest again. Here are some steps that Jim writes about discovering your destiny:

1. Value of Research: Often we must research the foundations in order to build wisely. What is your family's history, ethnic background, religious heritage?

2. The Meaning of a Name: Whom are you named after? What does it mean? Is there a promise that lies in it? Claim your generational inheritance and call forth the blessing. The power of the blessing is greater than the power of the curse.

3. Pick Up the Baton: What are the unfulfilled promises that have gone before you? Not all promises have to be received directly by your generation. Daniel 9:2 shows the receiving of a promise that was spoken about in Jeremiah 29:10.

4. The Importance of Revelation: Gifts like the discerning of spirits, word of knowledge, and prophecy are valuable here. They will help you determine specific points the Lord is trying to make. Also consider: what are the intercessors discerning? What are the hindering powers of darkness? What are current-day revelatory promises? What is the voice of the Holy Spirit saying to you personally?

5. Walking in Unity and Taking Counsel: What are your authorities saying? We must find confirmation, wisdom and counsel through the safety net of walking circumspectly with others. (BTW: a personal reminder of Minnie's warning about the spirit of Absalom that will undermine authority and encourage people to act on their own authority).

6. Kneeling on the Promises: Remind God of His words, "You who remind the Lord, take no rest for yourselves; and give Him no rest until He establishes and makes Jerusalem a praise in the earth," (Isaiah 62:6-7). Pray the promises into being. Humbly yet boldly lay hold of God and don't let go till you see His kingdom come about in your life. Don't stand on the promises, kneel on them and give birth to them.

7. Acting on the Opposite Spirit: If a curse or demonic spirit is discerned then begin to act out proper expressions of the love of God. If the spirit says hate then sow deeds of love, forgiveness and kindness.

8. Write it Down: Writing down God's promises ensures that it will be kept before your eyes and properly passed on to the next generation.

9. Stepping Out: Faith is spelled r-i-s-k. We must formulate practical plans of implementation, wait on God, get His mind and timing on the matter, and then get up and go, obey and step out.

For me personally I am only beginning to see what my generational inheritance is. I remember once in a dream I was confronting a stronghold of witchcraft. Instead of the deeds of the flesh I sowed the fruit of the spirit: love, peace, patience etc. I sung in the spirit over my family, even generations back. My name means Beloved and my middle name means consecrated to the Lord. So I am beginning a new thing and that is always hard. But I believe my brother and sister and I will mark a new generational inheritance of prosperity, vision, power, and authority. I am reminded of what Laddie told my dad: The Lord will make the French name great where greatness of name means something. All I have are the things the Lord has said to me and faith in Him to see them fulfilled.

Well, on to school with a little more passion today.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back from school and before I move onto practicalities--that is new jobs, eating--I'll share a little piece from a Yeats poem that gave me goose bumps today:

An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing, and louder sing
For every tatter in its mortal dress,
Nor is there singing school but studying
Monuments of its own magnificence;

Yeats is saying, basically, that he is empty, paltry, unless his soul is alive (with artistic expression, love, life). And for every tatter, every bad thing, every evil, that he has been afflicted with will add to the passion of his singing. There is no school to learn this in; but there are those who have gone before us that we can glean wisdom from.

No comments: