Friday, September 02, 2005

From Caribbean Islands to Coastlines of Ireland to Taylor Guitars on the Back of Burton Snowboards

Note to readers: this is not a in-your-face look at all the blessings I'm better than you post.

Note to self: thank God more.

Quickly, a strange dream last night. I had taken some sort of drug (either esctasy or heroine) with someone else and I remember staring at my eyes in the mirror. The pupils were abnormally large as will happen when such drugs are used. I couldn't talk right but I remember "feeling great." But then I was called downstairs to help out with chores in the kitchen. I began throwing out stuff that should not have been thrown out; particularly these staffs that were contained in this clay looking pitcher. Mom suddenly became angry with me and I told her there was some stronghold (that I can't remember) in her life. That's all I can recall at the moment. *jamesthegray I forgot to mention that you were in a recent dream of mine: just briefly...you were attending this class on the end of the world. You went three times. (???) Got me.

Anyway, as I embark on the next step of my journey...that is slowly finishing college and hearing the Lord's will for what is to come...it is good to remember His faithfulness and provision from the past. Now I understand that material blessings are not always the better manifestations of His favor but sometimes they are easier to spot, especially when that someone is wandering in a gutter or plodding through a bog of eternal stench. A random memory of a funnier Upton moment: "We stand on our C-R-A-P mountains and wonder why people won't get near us." So true. My family has been blessed with giving grandparents and even great-grandparents for as long as I can remember. Our Christmas usually consists of a Sally Suthers storehouse of food and goodies along with piles and piles of presents (although that pile is starting to diminish into one very expensive gift from each elder and so on). Sometimes I miss the Goliath fests. Poor Roberta Williams has been fired from Sierra---no more King's Quests for us. : ( Well, to begin my story at a more tangible place, my aunt and I were very close growing up. She always said that she would take me to the Virgin Islands for my highschool graduation present. I never really believed it would come about but during my senior year my uncle's band was going on a cruise to the Bahamas, and three of the V.I's. He needed a "baby sitter" so I was the person for the job. I got on for free and my aunt ended up watching Gab most of the nights when I went out. Sorry. I drank way too much and smoked even more. But despite my obvious indulgence in the pleasures of the flesh, I have never seen such beauty before and it was my Father's pleasure to give it to me. Thanks, Dad.

I had wanted to go to Ireland for about six or seven years before it ever worked out. It was a strange passion that just sort of popped into my heart and didn't disappear. I don't even remember what sparked it. I thought I might get to go the summer after I had turned eighteen. My grandfather gave me $1200 for quitting smoking (yet another blessing in itself) so I planned on using that money toward a trip to leperchaun land. But insetad of going by myself, I bought a phat car CD player and some other misc stuff. Well, three years later my grandma bought a ticket to Dublin for me and off I went. Dad took me to the airport; he said he felt like he was giving me away (at my wedding) and almost started crying. I had the opportunity to stay for free with a pleasant Irish native named Grace Mearns. We had a crack of a time. Did I say it right? By then I was in Belfast and she took me to all the great spots in the city. Before leaving my pastor said, "I'm afraid you're going to be a little disappointed cause it won't be like you expect." But honestly I wasn't. I went to see the green hills and breathtaking coasts. That's what I got. And on top of that, the city of Dublin ended being the coolest city I think I've been to. Thanks, Dad.

This past spring I was blessed to go on two trips to the Balkins. Serbia and Macedonia. I absolutely love to travel...I'd go anywhere new and try just about any food, any language, any drink. Both of these trips were beyond expectation. Belgrade is a phat city...a clean version of New York and Skopje is a hippified version of something. But the people, aahh, make it for me. Cosca one day (from Skopje) looked at me and said, "You have old time wisdom," in his cool accent. I asked what he meant. He said, "You don't freak out about pointless stuff. You have Macedonia mindset; you care when it's necessary and you act a lot older than twenty-two." I had to laugh. Alpin told me one day, "You look like John-Mark (McMillon)." I really laughed then! I hope all is well with ya and Erin! And now...for a quick conclusion and onto babysitting duties. So now I'm getting a phat new snowboard...Burton Feather...and a guitar for birthday/Christmas. Thanks, Dad.

I try not to get too fixated on what's to come. There are usually two pitfalls encountered: either stress/ fear or false expectation/discontentment. So here's to living in the now!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had phat g-parents like you!! :) "LUCKKYYYY" - in a Napoleon Dynamite accent.

In anycase...you're right...you are blessed...but I don't see you taking it for granted. I mean, you definately seem humble in this post about it...so that's cool.

I think a lot of us forget how much "stuff" we have...and when we remember it's just "CRAP" as JU put it...we are humbled...b/c we know it's the desires of our heart being fulfilled by the ultimate father.

Sounds like a cool new tv reality series "Ultimate Father"...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

that should read "you are blessed...like most of us are..."

...I wasn't wanting to imply you're spoiled...like rotten tomatoes.

Mad Frenchie said...

you should have left the middle comment so i could see how you really feel about me...I want an Oompa Loompa now!