Thursday, September 01, 2005

Frost Yourself

Here's that Robert Frost poem that still haunts me today. Maybe it'll haunt you too; actually he was a pretty cool guy from what I'm learning...just a little dark.

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

So...who is the guy he's talking about in the first stanza I wonder? The mailman? Santa? Frost dealt with the subject of lonliness and going to the brink of insanity and then pulling back just at the end. But it's funny, in his very last poem ever he writes: "Here are your waters and your watering place. Drink and be whole again beyond confusion." He takes us to that place of vast, lonely, space and says, "okay, now get healed." Interesting, Frost.

Here are some shout outs to my girls in foreign lands:

Grace: I said I'd mention you soon, put your snib down ya wee bastard. I think when I nicked that glass it created a stronghold in my life. I confessed to Rick and he obsolved my sins. Luv ya girly! We should sing together sometime...really.

Elizabeth: I miss you...you always had a way of making me feel normal. But I know I'll cya soon. We've got demon-ass to kick!

Marche: Macedonia is still near my heart. You guys always said I'd be back. Was it pee-pee? Aahhh...the laughs. Thanx again for the baby oil. There's nothing like sizzling flesh atop a mountain peak.

Mimi (and Cosca): Your married now! Congrats...I bet that wedding was a blast. Dancing on table tops w/ Alpin and Alec playing the congos. Doesn't get any better. Wish I could have come.

Diane: How could I forget you? You're amazing. Thanx for the encouragement; I felt like anything but a leader that week.

Random blip of coolness: Last night in-between dreams? I woke up because I heard a bell ringing. It was almost like a boxing match bell but less clangy. Ding, ding, ding. I thought I saw this white object in front of me. I can't really compare it with anything but I could draw it.

1 comment:

Jay said...

QOOP partners with Flickr and Buzznet
Via Susan Mernit and John Battelle - looks like those Flickr printing rumours were on the money, and that money will be going to QOOP , a web-based on demand printing site now out of beta.
I'm completely with you. In fact, I'm currently composing my own rant on the subject, which will be on my blog by the end of the day. (I'm much angrier than I thought I'd be!)

Ted
homeschool program